From time to time, we will be posting software updates here that are not quite ready for official release. If you want the very latest, or are willing to help us test new (BETA) versions of the code prior to general release, just download an update from this page and let us know if you like what you see, or if you spot any issues. It is best to use a spare SD card while testing BETA code. Thanks!
July 23, 2020 Use the link below to download the latest BETA version (1.40) of the Centipede operating software. This version introduces SESSIONS which is a more powerful way to use the sequences scripts which many of our customers employ. Note that SESSIONS are experimental/BETA/use at your own risk/etc… at this point, so we recommend you make a new SD card, with all your existing changes, and then load this version onto it, keeping the other SD card in case you have problems. We are currently updating the User Manual to reflect the changes in 1.40, but it will take time to complete that effort. (It seems to us that writing the documentation takes longer than writing the software!) Also, we have not ported V1.40 to the Centipede 216, but that will be coming eventually. Finally, we have many plans for additional features for Session/sequences now that the sequencer engine will be running on the processor instead of the browser. Stay tuned, and let us know if you find bugs we need to fix! Several persons have been helping to catch bugs that need fixing, so check back from time to time as we re-upload this file.
Aug 06, 2020 A number of bugs have been fixed including the battery display on the Jukebox page and the option to enable/disable SSH.
Aug 11, 2020 The session_edit web page has been almost completely rewritten, to add a “Save As” feature, enabling you to duplicate or modify an existing session and save the result under a different name. The control buttons are now more “user friendly’ resembling the familiar “open, save, save as, and delete” choices.
We still have a long list of suggestions and ideas to further improve this release, but we think all the bugs have been fixed. So if you find a bug, please email us. We recently experimented with the new VOLTAGE feature using a couple of distance measuring devices from Adafruit. The configuration was surprisingly easy to setup, and it worked extremely well.
Use the links below to download the latest BETA version (1.36) of Centipede operating software. This version adds the following features:
- Extensive work has been done on Music and Speech for the 416 models. By adding an inexpensive USB audio converter like the one from Sabrent, you will be able to optionally direct the music to come out the USB port while the speech will come out the back panel audio jack. These two streams will have separate volume and mute controls.
- The sequencer now has controls for getting and setting the volume and mute functions on all models.
- The firmware update functions have been improved on all models, to make them more reliable.
- New formatting option for PROMPT & QUESTION dialogs
- New feature allows sending messages to the browser’s console
April 3, 2019
Use the links below to download a BETA version (1.35) of Centipede operating software. This version adds the following features:
- Added a new BUTTON to signal a script to prompt for operator input(s)
- Note: when a SIGNAL is active/pending, the button will change colors
- Added a new statement: IF SIGNAL ACTIVE …….. (this new button has been pushed)
- Added a new statement: IF SIGNAL INACTIVE …… (the new button has not been pushed)
- Note: these sequencer IF statements will turn off an existing signal
- Note: an active signal will interrupt a WAIT function
- Added WAIT RESUME to continue waiting for the original time before the signal
- Added VAR X INT=Y convert to an integer
- Added a new verb ‘QUESTION’ to get input (number or text) from operator while script is running
- Added a new pre-defined variable which contains the last response from the operator to a ‘QUESTION’ prompt
- Updated sequence ‘pillory.txt’ to demonstrate the new features
The Owner’s Manual has been updated to reflect changes up to Version 1.35
January 26th, 2019
Use the links below to download the latest BETA version (1.31) of Centipede operating software. This version adds the following features:
- Adds a feature to display sequence scripts: Sometimes you want a copy of an existing script to make a change, or just to look it over to understand how it works. This features makes it easy to transfer a script for cut & paste into a text editor, like the programmers editor.
- Adjust Home page menu to reflect upgrades in various devices, esp Apple iPad & iPhone: Apple phones and tablets did not follow industry standards and we needed to create versions of our software to address this. As of OS 12, this issue has been fixed, so our home page has been adjusted accordingly.
- Sequencer: SET 1.1 ON=0.75: This version adds a new feature to the sequencer. You can now specify a probability to randomly turn outputs on. This feature can make it easier to create scripts that are more interesting by being less predictable.
- Sequencer: add verb “QUESTION” and pre-defined variable: “ANSWER”: This version adds a new sequencer feature so that the script can prompt the operator for a number which can be used within the script. See the sample script: pillory.txt for an example.
- Outputs: switch output controls between for UP / DOWN buttons and sliders: This is a super cool feature that makes it much easier to make small/precise changes to the outputs. You can now use the sliders as before, or you can use UP/DOWN buttons to change the values incrementally. In the example below, slider one (the Min slider) has been changed to UP/Down buttons. To do this, simply click the value (in this case 1). The other two outputs remain in the default, slider mode. Our updated User Manual will have more details about this feature.
The manuals have not yet been updated to reflect these changes, but shown above are some brief explanations.